The poll results are in!
Happy New Year 2017 to you all! Thanks for participating in the poll Your favorite work of fiction of all time, here are the results.
The Other category received 83 % of your votes and the remaining 17 % went for Cervantes and Don Quixote. Poor Ulysses and In Search of Lost Time stirred less interest.
- Cervantes: Don Quixote (1605)
- Dumas: The Count of Monte Cristo (1845)
- Dostoyevsky: Crime and Punishment (1866)
- Tolstoy: The Death of Ivan Ilych (1886)
- Fitzgerald: The Great Gatsby (1925)
- Canetti: Auto-da-Fé (1935)
- Camus: The Stranger (1942)
- Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (1954-1955)
- Coetzee: Disgrace (1999)
- Uusma: Expeditionen: Min kärlekshistoria (The Expedition. A Love Story, 2013)
To summarize the results, I was slightly surprised by the number of old schoolers among the results. Four books from the 19th century or earlier. Pretty amazing! But maybe it shouldn’t be so surprising since most people like classics and it takes longer for newer books to reach their rightful place in the history of mankind.
Among those books I haven’t already read was Elias Canetti’s Auto-da-Fé (1935). It seems very interesting! I marked it as to-read.
Thanks for everyone who voted!